Monday, May 20, 2019

Far from perfect

I am not perfect. I made a lot of mistakes as a parent. I lost my temper. I said “no” for the wrong reasons. I said “yes” for the wrong reasons. A lot of times I did this because I wanted to maintain the peace, any amount of peace, at all cost.

Sometimes I said the wrong thing altogether. Other times I just wanted to give up...more times than I would care to admit in fact. I wasn’t sure I could do it. I felt like a failure.

But do you know what? Every day I would wake up and it was a new day. Miraculously I would have a little more strength to start over, and either move on or try to make up for the mistakes from the day before.

All you can do is start where you are. Where you are right now is a good starting place. You have within you the lessons you have learned along the way. Parenting doesn’t come with a manual. And no 2 kids are the same. We have to figure it out as we go.

“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” - Maya Angelou



1 comment:

  1. That is so true. Forgetting about the past, and starting where you are is the best plan!

    ReplyDelete